MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service )
Mobile Messaging is evolving beyond SMS text messaging with
the introduction of MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service)
MMS delivers a total communication experience, allowing
personalised multimedia content such as images, audio, text,
video and combinations of these.
Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) is a store and forward
messaging service that allows mobile subscribers to exchange
multimedia messages with other mobile subscribers. As such
it can be seen as an evolution of SMS, with MMS supporting
the transmission of additional media types:
• combinations of the above
Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) is an important emerging
service, which allows the sending of multiple media in a
single message, and the ability to send a message to
The originator can easily create a Multimedia Message,
either using a built-in or accessory camera, or can use
images and sounds stored previously in the phone (and
possibly downloaded from a web site).
Even if the recipient phone is not switched on, the
Multimedia Message will be stored and sent to the recipient
as soon as they switch on their phone.If the recipient has
not subscribed to the MMS service, still he/she can view the
MMS through internet based on the SMS notification he/she
A number of Multimedia Messages can be stored in the users
handset and reviewed or forwarded at a later date.
The Wireless Application
Protocol (WAP) is hot for several reasons:
• It provides a standardized way of linking the Internet to
mobile phones, thereby linking two of the hottest industries
• Its founder members include the major wireless vendors of
Nokia, Ericsson and Motorola, plus a newcomer Phone.com.
The wireless industry came up with the idea of WAP. The
point of this standard was to show internet contents on
wireless clients, like mobile phones.
• WAP stands for Wireless Application Protocol
• WAP is an application communication protocol
• WAP is used to access services and information
• WAP is inherited from Internet standards
• WAP is for handheld devices such as mobile phones
• WAP is a protocol designed for micro browsers
• WAP enables the creating of web applications for mobile
• WAP uses themark-up language WML (not HTML)
• WML is defined as an XML 1.0 application
This WAP facility is
available over CSD & GPRS for the CellOne customers.
General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) enabled networks offer
'always-on', higher capacity, Internet-based content and
packet-based data services. This enables services such as
colour Internet browsing, e-mail on the move, powerful
visual communications, multimedia messages.
Customer can use GPRS as bearer to access internet. Please
note that all mobile devices may not support GPRS facility.
Click here for GPRS HANDSET CONFIGURATION